How to Help
Volunteers are vital to the success of SELCC. Whether you’re interested in helping out just once, or have time to contribute once a week or once a month, we have a place for you!
- Transportation to Medical Appointments
- Volunteers drive seniors to appointments locally or in Cedar Rapids or Iowa City. Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required. Volunteers choose their availability. Mileage is reimbursed at .535/mile through Heritage Area Agency on Aging.
- Kitchen Volunteer for Senior Dining
- Weekdays 10:30-12:30. Sort items for Meals on Wheels drivers. Set and clear table. Serve pre-packaged meals (provided by Horizons) to congregate diners. Light dishwashing and clean-up.
- Deliver Meals on Wheels
- Weekdays 11:00-12:00. Pick up approximately 8-10 meals at Southeast Linn. Deliver to home-bound seniors in either Lisbon or Mount Vernon. Can help out one time or on a regular schedule.
- Pack food packs for Operation Backpack
- Operation Backpack is a HACAP program which provides food to Lisbon and Mount Vernon students every Friday throughout the school year. Groups can volunteer to help pack the bags at Southeast Linn. Call to schedule a time.
- Assist with After School program
- Volunteers are needed to assist with the After School Cafe, which meets Monday -Thursday from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Participants are local students ages 9 and up. Assist with snack, activities, and supervision. Background check required for all volunteers.
- Presentation/Activity for After School program
- Have a special skill or talent you’d like to share with students? Call to schedule a time to present to our After School Cafe students. After School Cafe meets Monday-Thursday from 3-5 p.m.
Helping to Meet Basic Needs
- Sort Freestyle Donations
- Work a Freestyle shift
- Sort/organize food pantry
- Answer phones
Maybe You Have a Special Skill to Contribute
Let us know what special talent or skill you’d like to share. Examples; photography, maintenance work, building repairs, event planning, etc.