What if every neighbor joined together to give a helping hand to those in need? Imagine the possibilities if we each took action to share our talents right here at home. No matter your age, interests, or availability, there’s a place for you to volunteer at Southeast Linn Community Center. Join us and see what we can accomplish together. Our phone number is 319-455-2844.
You can spread joy and hope in this community every day. Whether packing food bags for children, delivering a hot meal and a friendly hello to a homebound senior, or sorting out jeans and sweatshirts for the clothing closet, you can be giving so much more than just your time. Your generosity strengthens our community and enables Southeast Linn to fulfill our mission of service.
The diversity of programs at Southeast Linn provides a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. Volunteers like you can make a difference by helping out with a one-time event, giving a couple of hours a month, or joining in a weekly rotation. Read on to see how you can use your passions and skills to benefit your local nonprofit.
If you are interested in helping improve the well- being of the citizens of Lisbon and Mount Vernon, with emphasis on the economically disadvantaged, children, and senior citizens of our community in any way, get in touch.
Commonly a person can help by:
- Making a tax-deductible donation
- Donating food or new/gently-used clothing
Volunteers are vital to the success of SELCC. Whether you’re interested in helping out just once, or have time to contribute once a week or once a month, we have a place for you!
- Transportation to Medical Appointments
- Volunteers drive seniors to appointments locally or in Cedar Rapids or Iowa City. Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance required. Volunteers choose their availability. Mileage is reimbursed at .545/mile through Heritage Area Agency on Aging.
- Kitchen Volunteer for Senior Dining
- Weekdays 10:30-12:00. Sort items for Meals on Wheels drivers. Set and clear table. Serve pre-packaged meals (provided by Horizons) to congregate diners. Light dishwashing and clean-up.
- Deliver Meals on Wheels
- Weekdays 11:00-12:00. Pick up approximately 8-10 meals at Southeast Linn. Deliver to home-bound seniors in either Lisbon or Mount Vernon. Can help out one time or on a regular schedule.
- Pack food packs for Operation Backpack
- Operation Backpack is a HACAP program which provides food to Lisbon and Mount Vernon students every Friday throughout the school year. Groups can volunteer to help pack the bags at Southeast Linn. Call to schedule a time.
- Assist with After School program
- Volunteers are needed to assist with the After School Cafe, which meets Monday -Friday from 3:15 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Participants are local students ages 9 and up. Assist with snack, activities, and supervision. Background check required for all volunteers.
- Presentation/Activity for After School program
- Have a special skill or talent you’d like to share with students? Call to schedule a time to present to our After School Cafe students. After School Cafe meets Monday-Friday from 3:15-5:00 p.m.
Helping to Meet Basic Needs
- Sort Freestyle Donations or help to organize clothing (anytime!)
- Work a Freestyle shift on Tuesday or Thursday from 9:00-12:00 or Wednesday evening 6:00-8:00
- Answer phones and help with light office work
Helping with Activities
- Make a breakfast item for Friday’s Breakfast & Bingo
- Call Bingo on Fridays 9:30-11:00
- Help w/set-up or take-down for Thursday Movie Matinees (and enjoy the movie!)
Maybe You Have a Special Skill to Contribute
Let us know what special talent or skill you’d like to share. Examples; photography, maintenance work, building repairs, event planning, etc.